May 10, 2021
Almost 75 years ago, Jackie Robinson became one of major league
baseball’s greatest players, but only because he was given a chance
to play. In the substantially nondiverse world of employee benefits
insurance and brokerage, minority-owned businesses simply want an
opportunity to play.
In this compelling episode of ERISA is a friend of
mine, Ed and Scott welcome Ken Hurtt, CEO of Birwood Services
Group, a minority-owned broker founded in 2020 by Mr. Hurtt in a
partnership with Lockton. Listen as Mr. Hurtt explains how Birwood,
with Lockton’s support, plans to create a flow of opportunity for
minority-owned businesses in the insurance industry. This episode
- How can Birwood help employers meet their diversity, equity and
- Ways that Birwood, with Lockton’s financial support, is working
to foster insurance-related career opportunities for more people of
- What is the Birwood supply chain? How does it look beyond
Birwood’s business objectives to introduce other quality,
minority-owned benefits businesses to employers and give those
firms a chance to compete for their business?
- How the name “Birwood Services Group” got its name? (Hint: It’s
a journey from racial prejudice to a symbol of hope and
- What does the Scorpions’ song “Winds of Change” have to do with
the Birwood Wall?
To learn more about Birwood Services Group, visit
www.birwoodsg.com or contact Mr. Hurtt directly.