Oct 19, 2020
Surprise medical bills are a well-known problem within the U.S.
healthcare system, but a few bad actors are playing an even more
sinister trick on healthcare consumers and employer group
plans. Scott and Ed welcome Jennifer Hill, Senior Clinical
Consultant from the Lockton Dunning team, to the podcast this week
to discuss this new trick of the surprise medical billing trade.
This one involves self-dealing by some providers and shockingly
egregious billings intended to line their pockets at the expense of
the patient and the patient’s employer group medical plan.
- Isn’t “surprise billing” Scott’s deal with his fancy friends in
- How are some healthcare providers using affiliated,
out-of-network entities to gouge the system?
- Can an in-network surgeon charge $7,000 for a procedure but
bill $372,000 for their attending surgical nurse?
(Apparently yes, if they are set up as an out-of-network
- Who comes up with these schemes and how do they come to
- What can a self-insured plan sponsor do when it is asked to pay
these illegitimate, astronomical charges?
- What has Lockton, specifically Jennifer herself, done to
investigate these charges? (Unfortunately, the providers really
didn’t just forget a decimal somewhere, as Jennifer initially
- Why does Scott cringe whenever it’s time for “Deep thoughts,
- If Congress is aware of this problem, why hasn’t it acted?